Ads Here

Sunday, November 13, 2022

Our Divine Sunday Daily Devotions

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13, 2022


TEXT: Isaiah 47:1-11


1. Come down and sit in the dust, virgin daughter Babylon! Sit on the ground without a throne, daughter Chaldea! For you shall no more be called tender and delicate.


2. Take the millstones and grind meal, remove your veil, strip off your robe, uncover your legs, pass through the rivers.


3. Your nakedness shall be uncovered, and your shame shall be seen. I will take vengeance, and I will spare no one.


4. Our Redeemer-the Lord of hosts is his name- is the Holy One of Israel.


5. Sit in silence, and go into darkness, daughter Chaldea! For you shall no more be called the mistress of kingdoms.


6. I was angry with my people, I profaned my heritage; I gave them into your hand, you showed them no mercy; on the aged you made your yoke exceedingly heavy.


7. You said, “I shall be mistress forever,” so that you did not lay these things to heart or remember their end.


8. Now therefore hear this, you lover of pleasures, who sit securely, who say in your heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me; I shall not sit as a widow or know the loss of children”-


9. both these things shall come upon you in a moment, in one day: the loss of children and widowhood shall come upon you in full measure, in spite of your many sorceries and the great power of your enchantments.


10. You felt secure in your wickedness; you said, “No one sees me.” Your wisdom and your knowledge led you astray, and you said in your heart, “I am, and there is no one besides me.”


11. But evil shall come upon you, which you cannot charm away; disaster shall fall upon you, which you will not be able to ward off; and ruin shall come on you suddenly, of which you know nothing.


(New Revised Standard Version Holy Bible)


TOPIC: THE EMPTINESS IN SELF-GRATIFICATION


Gratification is the act of pleasing the mind, taste or appetite. It is a feeling of pleasure and satisfaction.


Today, many people are addicted to pleasure and power but forget that it quickly vanishes. Today’s text shows the city of Babylon being ravaged by pride, pleasure, lust for power, etc. she believed in her own greatness and took pride in her achievements and the belief that she is the most powerful nation on earth (vs. 1-6).


Daniel 4:28-37 reveals how God humbled King Nebuchadnezzar who exalted himself as a ‘god’. God taught him a lesson by taking away all that he had.


Today, many have allowed what they possess, pleasure, lust for power, etc, take the better part of their lives. Such people are operating in ignorance because God will judge and bring pride, pleasure, power, etc, to complete futility (vs. 7-11). This is most especially when people think that their possessions give them security, peace and good life.


QUESTION: Are you using the blessings, gifts and opportunities God has given you to honor Him or to glorify your flesh?


PRAYER: O Lord, help me to use the blessings and gifts You have bestowed on me to honor You and not to take pride in myself, in Christ’s name, Amen.



 

Remain Blessed

ECWA Food For The Day, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment