Ads Here

Thursday, July 21, 2022

Our Today with Christ Daily Devotion for THURSDAY, JULY 21, 2022

THURSDAY, JULY 21, 2022


TEXT: 1 Corinthians 16:1-11


1. Now concerning the collection for the saints, you should follow the directions I gave to the churches in Galatia.


2. After the Sabbath ends, each of you should set aside and save something from your surplus in proportion to what you have, so that no collections will have to be made when I arrive.


3. When I arrive, I will send letters along with the men you approve to take your gift to Jerusalem.


4. If it is worthwhile for me to go, too, they can go with me.


5. I will visit you when I go through Macedonia-for I intend to go through Macedonia


6. and will probably stay with you for a while or even spend the winter with you. Then you can send me on my way, wherever I decide to go.


7. I do not want to visit with you now just in passing, because I hope to spend a longer time with you if the Lord permits.


8. However, I’ll stay on in Ephesus until Pentecost,


9. because a door has opened wide for me to do effective work, although many people are opposing me.


10. If Timothy comes, see to it that he does not have anything to be afraid of while he is with you, for he is doing the Lord’s work as I am.


11. Therefore, no one should treat him with contempt. Send him on his way in peace so that he may come to me, because I am expecting him along with the brothers.


(International Standard Version Holy Bible)


TOPIC: CONTRIBUTIONS TO SUPPORT SAINTS


In concluding the various answers to questions asked by the Corinth church on how Christians should exercise their faith, today’s text shows that the church desired to know the place of giving in support of the saints in Jerusalem who were passing through challenges.


Paul said, “Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also (v. 1).” It shows that the church had earlier prepared to take collections to support the church in need.


This time, it was for the church in Jerusalem, the mother church of the early Jewish Christians to which other churches had the obligation to support. How these collections should be handled for onward transmission to the needy church was important.


Note that it wasn’t the Corinthian church alone that was encouraged to demonstrate this love and concern for other members of the body of Christ: “As I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also” (vs. 1, 2). Collections should be seen as opportunity to serve the cause of the Kingdom whenever we’re called to give. “On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside (v. 2; cf. Matthew 28:1; Acts 20:7).”


QUESTION: Do you consider the regular collections in your church as a way of serving the Lord?


PRAYER: Help me, dear Lord, to see the call to give as another way of serving the Lord and supporting those in need, in Jesus name, Amen.


Remain Blessed

ECWA Food For The Day, 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment